This topic gives an overview of the tasks needed to set up Semmle Core on a new server. By default, Semmle Core is located in a directory called
odasa (the previous name for Semmle Core). If the server already contains Semmle Core, see:
- Managing an installation of Semmle Core for information about how to update the installation
- Setting up Project Insight for information about how to add a new project to the installation
A basic installation of Semmle Core consists of the following components:
- Command-line tools – used to collect and process data.
- Semmle queries and their help files – standard analyses for each programming language supported.
Once the basic installation is set up, then you are ready to start analyzing projects using Semmle Team Insight or to create a project and define a dashboard for standalone analysis.
When you set up Semmle Core on a new server, then you must perform the following tasks:
- Installing Semmle Core – to make the command-line tools and Semmle queries available.
- Setting up the environment – to define the environment variables required and enable the command-line tools for the current session.
When you have finished setting up Semmle Core, you can go ahead and set up Semmle Team Insight: see Introduction to Team Insight administration .