About Team Insight
Team Insight is an engineering analytics dashboard application that helps you visualize how effectively your team creates software. It allows you to explore the current state and historic trends for any dimension, including productivity, quality, cost, and others. It shows you visualizations at the portfolio, project, team, and individual developer levels.
Team Insight draws its information from the code in your software repositories. It evaluates the size, frequency, type, and quality of contributions made to projects by both teams and individuals over time. This data is aggregated and stored within a relational database for easy access from standard data visualization tools, like QlikView or Tableau.
Team Insight can be customized to provide additional views to focus on other aspects of the data or to integrate custom data (for example, architectural analysis or data imported from an issue tracking system).
The primary source of information for Team Insight is one or more repositories. Semmle Core is used to analyze the commits made to the repository, either:
- Light analysis—every revision is analyzed. Basic metrics such as lines of code, comments, test code, duplicate code are determined for each revision. Light analysis is easy to set up and provides a rapid overview of the history of a project.
- Full analysis—every revision is built and analyzed. The only exception is for compiled code where a revision does not build; in this case it cannot be analyzed. In addition to the metrics provided by light analysis, a detailed analysis of code quality is performed. For compiled code, full analysis requires knowledge of how each project is built, and analysis of each revision takes longer than for light analysis. The data collected is much more comprehensive than light analysis and is fully customizable.
This core data is combined with data imported from third-party systems to provide you with actionable insights into the work of the development team.
Getting started with light analysis
To perform light analysis, you need to have URLs for the repositories that you want to analyze and read-only credentials for those repositories. For information about setting up Team Insight light analysis, see Team Insight light analysis help.
Getting started with full analysis
As for light analysis, you need to have URLs for the repositories that you want to analyze and read-only credentials for those repositories. In addition, you also need to know how to build each project that you want to analyze.
We recommend that you start with the following topics:
- Infrastructure requirements for Team Insight
- Installing Semmle Core—how to set up the Semmle analytics platform
- Setting up the master server—from here you can follow a three-part tutorial in which you will set up Team Insight on a master server, configure an open-source project for analysis, configure a worker node server to perform data collection, run the analysis, and view the results in the free Tableau Reader application.
Configuring and maintaining Team Insight
Team Insight light analysis help explains how to set up and maintain light Team Insight analysis for a project.
The following topics, in this wiki, provide full details of configuration options, tools and administrative procedures for both levels of Team Insight analysis:
- Introduction to Team Insight administration
- Initial setup
- Infrastructure requirements for Team Insight
- Planning for scalability: Team Insight
- Setting up the master server
- Setting up worker nodes
- Running data collection and analysis
- Configuring Team Insight for IBM Rational Team Concert
- Team Insight directory structure
- Securing Team Insight directories
- Project file checkout examples
- Testing changes to the project file
- Setting up a Semmle Insight server
- Publishing Team Insight data to an Insight Server
- Publishing incremental updates to an Insight server
- Converting your Team Insight data into a Tableau workbook
- Creating a dashboard for Team Insight
- Integrating custom data into Team Insight
- Author deduplication and aliasing in Team Insight
- Using tags to filter files
- Adding custom classifiers for build failures
- Team Insight CSV files
- Upgrading Team Insight
- Team Insight server maintenance
- Semmle Team Insight frequently asked questions
- Attribution: why no data for successfully built revisions
- Can I use one instance of Team Insight for several projects
- How can I get SSL certificates for testing an Insight server
- How do I customize the analysis?
- How do I debug failing revisions
- How do I fix a "Failed to connect" error for SSH connections
- How do I fix a "host name does not match the certificate subject" error
- How do I fix a "no CredentialsProvider has been registered" error?
- How do I fix an "UnknownHostKey" error?
- How do I restart analysis completely
- How is churn calculated?
- What's the difference between full and light analysis?
- Why am I getting a 'uname' warning?
- Why doesn't my Tableau workbook update