This topic describes how to publish data to a Semmle Insight service from Project Insight dashboards.
Before you can publish data from Project Insight to a Semmle Insight service you must ensure that communication between the servers is set up correctly. The requirements vary according to the communication protocol defined for the Semmle Insight service. For example, the server that hosts Project Insight
- HTTPS service - must contain a client Java keystore that is trusted by the Semmle Insight service (see Setting up an HTTPS Insight Server service).
- SSH service - must have SSH installed and configured for secure communication with the Semmle Insight service (see Starting an SSH-based Insight server service).
You can check that the Semmle Insight service is up and responsive by running the following command on the Semmle Insight Master (which hosts the Semmle Insight service):
- HTTPS - run:
odasa insightHttpClient --ping --urlwhere: --keystore client.jks --keystore-password password
https://localhost:8443/insight-server/upload/ei-serveris the URL of the service,
client.jksis the keystore and truststore for the client key
passwordis the password for this store.
- SSH service - run:
odasa insightClient --ping /ei-server-workingwhere
You can publish data from a Project Insight dashboard to an Enterprise Insight service by creating an ei-client.xml configuration file and running the eiPublish command. The data received by the service is automatically imported into
internal tables in the Enterprise Insight database and processed according to the data model defined in the Insight server configuration file.
Configuring the Project Insight dashboard
For each Project Insight dashboard that you want to publish data for, you need to create an
Publishing data to the Enterprise Insight service
Now that you have defined a configuration file for Project Insight, you can use the eiPublish command to publish data to the Enterprise Insight service defined in that file.
eiPublish command runs it:
- Runs each query defined in the
dashboard-querieselement of the configuration against the Project Insight dashboard database.
- The result of each query is stored in a CSV file with a file name derived from the query file name.
- When all the queries have run, the CSV files are added to a zip archive.
- The zip archive is published to the Enterprise Insight service using the connection details defined in the
When the data is received by the service, it is automatically imported into tables and columns in the
internal schema of the database. Then the SQL queries defined in the Insight server configuration file are run on the database.
If you have already set up a dashboard for Enterprise Insight, then you can display this dashboard and see the new data displayed. You may want to update any automated scripts that you use to update Project Insight dashboards to publish data to Enterprise Insight as the final step.
Otherwise you may be ready to use your chosen business intelligence tool to create a dashboard for Enterprise Insight.