Moving control pool components
Most LGTM Enterprise systems start with a single machine hosting all the components for the control pool. These components initially store their data in the default control pool data directory:
As the system grows, you may want to move some components onto dedicated machines, for example, the two main storage components: the file store and the database. You may also wish to move the control pool data directory.
You can relocate individual components as follows:
- Take down LGTM using
- Back up LGTM using your normal method.
- Update the cluster configuration:
- Edit the
lgtm-cluster-config.ymlfile and specify the new hosts for the components you want to move, and/or change the
- Generate updated files for the cluster configuration using
- Deploy the new configuration on each machine in the control pool, including the new host machines.
- Edit the
- Restore the components you want to move to the new host machines and/or move the control data directory.
- Bring LGTM back up using
- Check that everything is working as expected. For example, check that you can log in as a user, view data for a project, and run a simple query.
- Delete any unwanted data from the original location for the components that you moved.
For more detailed information about the processes outlined in these steps, see:
- Backup and restore
- Bringing the system up
- Editing and deploying the cluster configuration
- Taking the system down
A system is initially set up with the control pool hosted on a single machine. As the system expands, the configuration is updated to change: the location of the control pool data directory, and the host machines for the database and file store. This is an excerpt from the updated
lgtm-cluster-config.yml file, with the changes highlighted: